Information for 2009 applicants
The Ruth & Harold Chenven Foundation gives annual awards to individual craftsperson and
artists living and working in the United States, who are engaged in or planning a craft or visual
art project. The RHCF does not accept film, video, performance art or music submissions. It is
expected that applicants will be working artists who have a developed body of work.
An independent jury of three artists will judge the submissions and make its recommendations
to the RHCF Board of Directors for final approval. The maximum award is 1,500 dollars.
Previous winners of a Foundation grant are not eligible for a second award.
Completed applications must be postmarked no later than July 31, 2009. Applicants will be
notified of the jury’s decisions in early November. The Foundation will accept a maximum of
350 completed applications. When that limit has been reached we will post a notice on this
Winning submissions will be retained by the Ruth & Harold Chenven Foundation and may be
used for publicity purposes.
2009 Application Instructions
Please read and follow the instructions carefully. Due to the large volume of applications, we
cannot honor special requests.
1. One page (typed, maximum 300 words) of information about yourself and your work, i.e. your
2. One page (typed, maximum 300 words) describing the project for which you are seeking an
award, including the amount of funding you are requesting and how the funds will be used. A
detailed budget for your project is not required.
3. One page (typed) which is an inventory list of your .jpg images . The inventory is a
description of each work submitted and should include only the following: title, medium,
dimensions, and date completed.
4. For items 1, 2 & 3, submit an original plus three copies on 8.5 X 11 white paper.
5. Five (5) images of your work. Submit images on a CD as 300dpi .jpg files, sized at 5x7
inches. Each .jpg file must be named with the title of work and the artist’s name. Images
should be of your current or most recent work, that provide the best examples of your overall
body of work
6. Label each page of your application and your CD with your name, address and contact
7. Please ensure that you have followed all instructions carefully. Incomplete applications or
applications that do not adhere to the instructions will not be considered. Do not send additional
material with your application, as it will not be considered by the judges.
8. Mail completed applications to:
The Ruth & Harold Chenven Foundation
7505 Jackson Avenue
Takoma Park, MD 20912
9. Applications will be accepted beginning no sooner than May 1 and must be postmarked no
later than July 31st.